Talking to our clients, we noticed, that selecting the right lens for a specific project or simply limiting the options to a range of applicable lenses is not a trivial task.
Sunex’s Optical wizards are free online tools (registration required) designed for assisting you during the selection of the proper optics for your applications.
If wizards, tools, and configurators are not your cup of coffee (or even if they are), we are always here to talk to you in person! Contact Sunex
There are different approaches when it comes to selecting the right lens, depending on whether you already selected a specific imager or have hard requirements for FOV and EFL. No matter your starting point, Sunex’s Optical wizards will help you in the selection process:
- Search imager database: We have built a database of popular CMOS imagers from major suppliers. You can search for an imager based on the manufacturer’s name, PN and imager resolution. Once an imager is identified, you can then go on to search for a list of compatible lenses.
- Find a lens by imager specification: Given the imager resolution and pixel pitch, this tool will compute a list of imager key characteristics, and search our database for all matching lenses.
- Field of view and EFL calculator: This tool will calculate the required lens effective focal length to achieve a desired field of view in degree or vice versa. This tool will work for all lenses including wide-angle and fisheye lenses with a significant amount of distortion.
- Depth of field calculator: This tool will calculate the depth of field and hyper-focal distance for a given lens focal length and f/# . It requires the user to enter the maximum blur size in µm. It works for both infinite and finite conjugate systems.
- Imaging optics solver: For a given object and image size requirement, this tool calculates the required focal length of the lens based on first-order optics. It then recommends a suitable lens structure and focal length based on the object field size. It is a good starting point for solving finite conjugate problems.
- Search lens by optical parameters: This is a collection of advanced search tools.
Every wizard will lead you to a list of our best lens options for your requirements, sorted by field of view (descending). If you aren’t looking for a fisheye lens, just keep moving along to the next page of narrower angle lenses using the page navigation arrows provided! From this screen, you can also Order Samples (and check stock availability), calculate the Depth of Field, and Request a Volume Quote.
Once you selected the proper optics, the linked PDF will give you access to a datasheet and dimensional drawings.
Sunex provides lots of options which should be close to any given need. If, however, you cannot find a part which matches your exact requirements, please feel free to contact us: Contact Sunex
At Sunex, we are always interested to learn about new applications and project requirements. If we can’t find something which works in our current portfolio, we may be able to discuss our custom design services!